Monday, August 16, 2010

Magic candy shell

I had a brainstorm yesterday that a good party treat would be drumsticks. And we're having a party this weekend, so I thought I'd give it a go. The first step, I learned from an Instructables by scoochmaroo, is to coat the insides with Magic Shell. But that stuff scares me. So I googled around a bit and discovered that The Accidental Vegetarian had an easy-sounding recipe, if only I could find coconut oil.

First I tried to order on Fresh Direct, but they don't have any. I searched high and low around Union Market before I finally found it. I've never used this stuff before. It's a little weird. But it did what it was supposed to, I think. I made it all up, coated the insides of 15 cones and stuck them in the freezer.

I'm not sure yet whether this step was worth it. It seemed like the candy got soaked up by the cone and it certainly didn't harden into a cool candy coating the way I expected, but hopefully it'll make a nice little chocolate plug. Tomorrow's plan is to make some Vietnamese ice coffee ice cream, plop it into the cones, dip them in more magic shell and almonds, and freeze. And cross my fingers the Chief Taste Tester and I can wait until Saturday to try this out.

Coated cones.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good. I can't wait to hear about how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete