Friday, August 20, 2010

Vietnamese Ice Coffee

Next step in the drumstick-making-extravaganza was the innards. Sweet coffee - what could be better than Vietnamese Ice Coffee Ice Cream for combining with chocolatey goodness? 

I got the Chief Taste Tester to make some coffee while she made dinner last night. I asked for "very strong." I'm not sure I really conveyed how strong I wanted it, because I think she just made a bit stronger than the stuff we drink rather than the 1/2 c grounds to 1 1/2 c water recommended, but I think that's ok even though mine didn't turn out quite as dark as the photos suggested.

Today I realized that a single batch just wouldn't do to fill the 15 cones I'd prepared (or feed my 12 friends!) and luckily the CTT had made enough coffee for a double batch. Since the coffee had been made since yesterday and chilled in the freezer, I put together:
2 c coffee
2 cans sweetened condensed milk (about 2 cups, which is what the recipe called for)
2/3 c milk
2 T ground coffee

Whisked it all up in a bowl and straight into the freezer it went.

The next post will feature the making of the drumsticks, but since I ran out of space in the freezer I let the CTT have a chocolate-coated-on-the-inside cone filled with straight-from-the-machine ice cream. Her first taste prompted a "it tastes more like chocolate covered coffee beans than ice cream" but by the third bite she was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment