Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lemon Thyme

I decided I wanted a lemon-thyme ice cream and thought, "I've done this enough now, I'll just wing it." And it totally worked!

Recipe: 2c half-and-half, 1c milk. Put half a cup of sugar, the zest of two lemons, and the leaves of a handful of thyme into the sauce pan. Heat. Whisk 1/4c sugar with 3 eggs. Do the usual to make custard and steep for a good while (at least 20 minutes, but I think it might have been a little longer). Strain. Cool. Pour in most of the juice of two lemons - just taste and get it nice and lemony, a little more than you want it to be at the end.

At this point, I discovered that I'd been over-using my ice cream maker and the cylinder wasn't fully frozen. Actually, I discovered that after I tried to freeze it in advance of the Saturday evening BBQ. So, back into the refrigerator & freezer go the custard & cylinder, respectively.

Flash forward to Sunday afternoon. Everything's good and cold. So I set up the whole apparatus in the bathroom (it's noisy, and our kitchen doesn't have a door, so I always run the ice cream maker on the bathroom counter. Is that weird?) and got it going. This took the air well, and turned out very light.

And oh so good. In the words of the Chief Taste Tester, "Move over salted caramel, this is the best yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment