Saturday, July 17, 2010

Salted Caramel, take 2

After the success of last weekend, I agreed to make salted caramel ice cream again for this weekend's gathering. And I learned just what a stroke of beginner's luck I'd had.

It all started when I got excited and over-mixed the caramel. Pretty soon it looked like this, except less caramelized. But after a quick Google I learned (thanks David Lebovitz) that if I just stop stirring (note to self, do not use whisk to make caramel) it will caramelize anyway. But by the time this had happened successfully, the flavor was *really* intense.

It's freezing now, and we'll see how it tastes tonight. It's less salty than last time, but the flavor of this ice cream is bordering on burnt caramel. I think it's pretty good, but I can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment