Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peppercorn Cherry

I used this recipe from All Recipes as my inspiration, sort of. Except that I actually made a custard, with 1.5 c 2% milk and 1.5 c half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 3/4 cup sugar. And I put pink peppercorns in while I was making the custard, as suggested by this recipe from ChikaLicious Dessert Bar via chow.com, although I forgot to crush the peppercorns. And I couldn't find the cherry concentrate, so I just let my frozen cherries thaw a bit and then put them in while the ice cream was in the ice cream maker. So really, nothing like any of my sources.

Which is probably not the best thing to do for your first attempt in 3 years, but whatever.

Verdict: too icy, which suggests need more cream and less milk. A little too eggy, so I think perhaps I need to get it off the stove a little earlier (though the addition of cream might help). Not very pepper-y, obviously, without crushed peppercorns. And the cherries weren't really enough to impart a true cherry flavor to the ice cream, so the custard/base was kind of bland. It was a little bit like a vanilla-less cherry vanilla ice milk.

I served it with the green chili mint I also made that day. People liked it, but it didn't get rave reviews. Lots of things to do better, but I'm intrigued by the flavor combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment